In this section, you can learn more about salary and benefits of working at Narxoz, eligibility requirements, application and selection process, and final hiring and onboarding procedures. Salary and Benefits
Benefits vary by position and available departmental budget allowances for international employees. Long term employees are generally provided with a competitive salary (to the Kazakhstani job market), international health insurance, and roundtrip airfare from the employee's home country. Visiting professionals through the Erasmus+ fund receive 1,500 Euro for a five-day period of service (140 Euro per day and 800 Euro per flight). Volunteer/pro-bono development officers are provided a monthly stipend and/or on-campus housing. Go Nomads teachers receive accommodation, three meals per day, medical insurance, and roundtrip airfare.
Regardless of position, all international employees receive assistance with transitioning to Almaty (e.g. airport pick-up, finding housing, setting up bank and other accounts, orientation to Narxoz and Almaty, etc.) and support throughout their time at Narxoz. Narxoz University also supports all employees in pursuing professional development per the arrangements decided with each employee's supervising unit. Eligibility Requirements
Eligibility requirements vary by position; however, international candidates should meet the following general requirements:
Application Process and Deadlines
- Have an appropriate combination of professional and educational experience to succeed in the position being considered for
- Have an appropriate level of language proficiency needed to effectively communicate in the role (Narxoz employees communicate in English, Kazakh, and/or Russian; proficiency in at least English or Russian is required.)
- English: high intermediate (equivalent to IELTS 5.5 level or above)
- Russian: high intermediate (equivalent of TORFL-II/B2 or above)
- History of high quality performance on educational and job duties
- Previous relevant experience living, studying, or working abroad (is a plus)
- Clear commitment to building the capacity of the Narxoz community
- Complete all application requirements by the given deadlines
The screening process for international employees generally includes multiple components, such as interviews, various application documents, etc. Candidates will liaise with the International Students and Faculty Department throughout the process for support and may also be appointed a main point of contact within the Narxoz unit they are being considered for.
In general, we recommend interested candidates contact us at least two to four months before wanting to start with Narxoz since the actual onboarding takes significant time due to Kazakhstan's national procedures for visa processing and document officiating. Upon Selection
Once you receive the official letter of acceptance/job offer, it can be used for the visa process and confirms recruitment/employment to Narxoz University (upon successful completion of all additional steps that must be completed before you arrive and when you arrive at Narxoz University [see the next section - Upon Arrival to Almaty]). Once you confirm acceptance of the job offer and receive the official offer letter, you may move on to the final steps of the hiring process:
- Begin the visa process. This processing time varies, so it is important to start this process as soon as possible. See the Visa & Immigration section for full details.
- Arrange for your degree and transcripts to be apostolized. This is required for long term employees to apply for your degree and transcript nostrification while in Kazakhstan and is an important step to complete your employment process at Narxoz.
- Prepare additional documents for the visa, immigration and onboarding processes (e.g. copy of vaccination card, originals of medical insurance, criminal background check, bank account statements, etc.)
- Send your arrival itinerary to your International Employee Coordinator. At this point, airport pickup service will be scheduled for you. If you are coming to Almaty by car or train, provide these details as well and we will make sure you have all the necessary arrival information.
- Begin preparing for your new adventure in Kazakhstan! Review the pre-arrival checklist.